Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thing 7 - Generators are Sucking the Life from Me



I have persevered through 5 frustrating, agonizing, laughing at myself, hair pulling, feet stomping, silent cursing, air punching hours working on Thing 7. I am extremely excited that I finally got what I wanted, mostly. This is the mosaic representing the tools I've used during my time with 23 Things.

I went to BigHugeLabs.com first, saw the Mosaic Maker, and tried doing that. It didn't like any of my photos, so I tried The Generator Blog. I looked around there, tried Collage, but all the pics turned out fuzzy. Although, I did have fun doing my Mormon name and typing on an Absolut Vodka bottle. Image Chef had nothing that caught my eye. My friend did a cartoon of me on Toon Do about my frustrations with the computer (see http://crazycanuck-esj.blogspot.com/) so I didn't want to repeat. I decided to try Mosaic Maker again. After three hours I finally got results.

I made an account with them and with Flickr. I tried every option they give to upload photos. I uploaded all the photos I wanted into Flickr so they'd have a flickr url, no. I tried putting them all in a Flickr set, no. I tried tagging them all, no. Then I broke down and looked for all new photos on Flickr and marked the ones I wanted (not exactly what I wanted) as My Favs. Eureka!! A few pics might need explanation. I wanted NEFLIN's logo, but couldn't find that on Flickr, so I put NEFLIN into Flickr and got pics from a recent meeting. In one of the pics is my friend and NEFLIN people I've met. The girl trying to pull her hair out, is a little glimpse of what I've looked like while doing this Thing.

Even though I was frustrated for most of this, I did learn a lot about these programs and now know more about the things that are out there. I could see using this in advertising programs for the library, but I won't be trying that anytime soon. My knowledge of Web 2.0 has definitely risen, but with it so has my blood pressure. Where are those pills? On to the next Thing.

2 comments:

  1. You did it! I am so proud and glad your blood pressure has returned to a normal level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate although my frustration right now is with Delicious. Why do instructions sound so easy, but turn on you when you try to follow them? Screens, prompts, whatever never come up the way directions say they will. Ugh!!!!

    ReplyDelete