Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thing 4 - RSS is Cool!

So I just realized I hadn't posted about Thing 4. I did it and liked it, but must of run out of time and didn't do a post. So here it is! I have a friend who does Google Reader and love love loves it, so I picked that one. I got the blogs I follow on there and I went through the list of worldwide library blogs and added a few about young librarians, children's librarians, and utah librarians (checkin out what the Mormons are doing). Then went to the news. I did the local paper, and it gave options for which sections you'd like a feed from. I did local news, cause the rest is too depressing. Turns out that can be depressing too. Scanning the things it put on Reader, I discovered that a boy in my brother's high school was killed two nights before in a car accident. Very sad, but at least now I know and being informed is always good. Then I did Unshelved, cause sometimes its funny. Looking through the new ones put on Reader, they all deal with snow, which is fun since FL doesn't get any. Then I did LDS.com, my church website, so I can keep in the know. One of them had the option to add using Google Reader and the other two had me cut and paste the url into Reader's Add Subscription. It was super easy and now I don't wonder what RSS stands for. Wait, I think I've already forgotten. I know what it does, so I guess that's what counts. I don't really go to much else, just weather.com, floridastateparks.org, mapquest.com, my credit card websites, my bank website and facebook. I'm not sure how I can incorporate RSS into my job. I think RSS would be great on my library's website for the news section. Then people in our community who added it would know what's going on without having to visit our website. Wait, don't we want people visiting our website? Hmmm. I probably won't use it everyday, but I can see the value of such a tool.

1 comment: