Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Thing 10 - Tags are Delicious

I've done tagging with photos on Facebook, but that's about it. I liked using it in Flickr to find pics I was looking for. I went and tagged all my blog posts. I used the tags: Me, 23 Things, Blogs, Mormons, Weight Loss, Travel, Family, I Love My Library, Emily, and Frustrations. If I need to find something I blogged about, hopefully these tags will do the trick. Tags are like cataloging (as the instructions said) but even better because you get to pick the keywords or language to find things. In cataloging you have to guess whether the keyword has an s or an ism at the end, for example. But since you make the keywords, you know what to type in to bring up what you want. Of course that is, if you've tagged it correctly.

Then I did Delicious. I made an account, very easy. I put about 10 sites on that I visit daily. I don't use too many sites and I am either on my work computer or home computer, so we'll see if I use it. I'm going to Alabama in April and would probably use it there. When camping I might use it, since my Dad brings a laptop, but you never know if campsites will have wireless or not. Sometimes the ranger's office will have an open signal and you can use that. I thing Delicious is cool. We have a Great Links page on our Library's website and this would be good to have on Delicious. With tagging, we would most assuredly find other 'Great Links' which could help patrons and staff. We had a staff member who use to go searching for good web sites and he would bookmark them on one of the Reference desk computers. However if you were sitting at the second Ref desk computer, you didn't have them there. So if it was web based on Delicious, then you would have traveling bookmarks. Get it, I was just talking about traveling, and the bookmarks travel too. Oh no! Dan is starting rub off on me. Help!

No comments:

Post a Comment