Wednesday, April 15, 2009

family is forever

so much has happened since i last blogged. so here it goes.... i didn't gain weight on vacation! i actually lost a pound. down 22.5. even though i didn't go to the gym, i made pretty good choices food wise and was pretty active with the wii and skate station.

update on my aunt. she has a glioblastoma multifomra or GBM brain tumor. she will start radiation/chemo in May. she's home from the hospital and has a nurse coming into help. the diagnosis isn't great. this is a very aggressive form of cancer and she will probably live 1-2 years. the family seems to be holding up pretty well, but is obviously very upset. her children and husband are having a hard time going on with regular life. jobs and school don't seem that important when you know you don't have a lot of time left with your mom. of course she wants everyone to just do what they normally do and doesn't want to be fussed over or be a burden to anyone. she's is much more optimistic than she was the day she found out, but i'm sure that will come and go. my my mom is doing okay. she sees my aunt every few days to remind herself she's here. her and her five siblings had a tripped planned to see their dad in pennsylvania in May and its my aunt's goal to be strong enough to go. when she comes back, she'll start treatment.on to happier notes. the first day of my 'vacation' my parents, brother and i went to my sister and brother-in-law's house and played games and watched movies. we got chinese takeout for dinner and made sundaes for dessert. it was so much fun! the next day all the same people, plus another sister went to a new bowling alley in town. we had a blast! we all made strikes at least once. i bowled pretty badly (i had beat everyone in wii bowling the day before, so this was kind of funny). then dad took all of us to ruby tuesday's for lunch. my parents went to visit my aunt and the rest of us went to skate station next to the bowling alley. we did go carts, batting cages, pool, air hockey and arcade games. it was a ton of fun! then my sis who works at the movie theater (free tickets!!) and i went to see confessions of a shopaholic. i never read the books, so i guess that was why i thought the movie was really cute. then we went to moe's for dinner and magic mike was there (he does shows at the library). he had us try a 3-D pyramid puzzle that totally stumped us.



the next day this sis and i went out to my parents house and my brother taught us how to use his archery set he got for christmas. then we played wii games and had a campfire in the front yard (my parents live on 20 acres of trees) to cook hotdogs and smores over. thursday my mom and i went to orlando to the temple. it was so peaceful and i had a good cry about my aunt. we went to the mormon bookstore and i got a cd and some scrapbooking stuff. then we saw my aunt and she was doing much better. friday it was back to work. not the vacation i had planned, but still lots of family fun.


4 comments:

  1. Glad it turned out to be a semi-relaxing time! So now we are both back from vacation are we on for Friday night????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Back in the late 80s and early 90s I worked at the Oaks Mall as store manager. I was lucky enough to have the nicest person with the brightest smile working a kiosk right outside my store front. Often she would help with coffee and share laughs with me over the custoners and general Mall goings on. We had a great time. This person is the Aunt mentioned in this blog and I'm so sad to hear of her difficulties-the same ones thaat took my cousin Dave from this life back in 04. Odd to think this blogger must have visited her aunt in the mall back then and seen me-that must be what started her years of following me until she finally got to work with me in the Library. Funny. Franque

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this message Franque. You're right, its always been my dream to work with you. That's why you need to behave so you can come back and be my minion. Emily, I can't Friday night, but I promise to go during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear things seem to be calming down. Can't wait to see you next week!

    ReplyDelete