Thursday, June 4, 2009

ruth

so i went to see my aunt last night. i made chicken soup from scratch. and when you start with a frozen chicken at 9pm, you don't get finished until 1am, just so ya know. she's in a coma now and looks very peaceful. my three sisters and i went over. karen and i went in and held her hand and talked to her and put some yummy smelling mango lotion on her feet that she likes.

it was nice to talk to our cousins. they mostly live in georgia and this time some brought their husbands and all their kids. it was noisy and fun with lots of laughter. but there is a weariness in their faces, especially of the two that are pregnant. i cannot imagine the pain of losing my mother. someday i will and i know i'll have them to lean on. i love my aunt very much. she's lived 40 minutes or less away from me my whole life. i lived in her house, in the very room she's dying in, for a summer. then i was next door for a semester. i have only cried once about it, in the temple, soon after the doctor gave us the news. but there is a knot of tears in my chest that is building. im sure it will come out at the funeral. my best friends grandmother died about 10 years ago. she is the only person i've lost who has been close. i was fine until just before the funeral when the family gathered to hear the bishop pray. i lost it. i practically had to shove my fist in my mouth to quiet the sobs. im thinking it will be something like that again. but this time i'll be surrounded by more family, so maybe it will be better. plus my concern will be focused on my mom. i also cannot imagine losing a sister. mine are like appendages, myself not working right without them.

i guess i also just feel peace. i know she's lived a good life, had a wonderful husband, children, grandchildren and friends. she's touched alot of lives for the better. i feel blessed to know her. but oh how im going to miss that laugh. that loud, almost donkey-like, endearing, yet slightly embarrassing laugh. its making me tear up just thinking about it. that's how i'll remember her. loving her family, doing her crafts, and laughing. i know that she's going to be with those little grandbabies about to arrive and to see her mom and grandparents. and though we'll miss her, she where's she supposed to be.

i also have felt so much love from my friends. lots of texts and calls and facebook messages and facebook chat, to make sure im okay and what they can do to help. just the asking is wonderful. letting me talk. how truly glorious it is to have so many caring people in my life.

it felt good to type this. now to have some pleasant dreams. nite.

1 comment:

  1. That was absolutely beautiful. The part about your sisters being appendages, You are my sister and I love you and all of me doesnt work right without at least one of you. Now this is the part where I help you. The only problem is it has been so oppostie all our lives I dont know what to do. I want to help. I want to be there for you all but I dont know how. I dont want to be intrusive as I know she has lots of family and you guys do (where I didnt have much family to rely on and you do) but I dont want to be nonexistant. So the only thing I an think of is to pray for you (which I have done daily since I heard news) and to pray you know that I am here and want to be able to help you all. So again I must depend on you (an old habit hu?lol) to tell me what you need. If you need food or plates and napkins, drinks, music, help with planning(you know I have some experience in this and an "in" *wink*) or if you just want me to set with you and cry with you or just let you cry (although you know that I have a strict rule that noone cries alone in my presence) or just listen... all I can do is depend on you that you know these things and you will come to me and let me know what you need, any of you, your sisters, mother or even those family members I havent met, I want to help. So please let me know where I am needed or what I can do. This is one place I can say I have been there, I know the pain and all the emotions. I can help. I love you all. I cried Sunday with your mom. I lead the music and sat on the stand and saw her face. I watched her and knew immediatly where she was. I cried with her, let her know that. I cry with all of you. I loveyou all more than you could know. Please keep me up to date ( night or day anytime) and let me know how I can be there for you. I Love you!!!~ Kate, the 6th sibling. *wink*

    ReplyDelete